Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Scrambled Tofu and Kale with Sweet Potato Fries

Oh my gosh.... I can't believe how long it has been since I've been active on my blog!!


I'm sorry my friends... I have had  A LOT going on... A few large shifts and changes in my life, but all for the greater good and I am going to make more of an effort to post more regularly.


So... last week I was in 30 degree heat that was Darwin. It was incredible to escape the cold and have a nice little tropical getaway. However now, I am sitting in my uggs, winter woolies, cosy dressing gown, in my girlfriend's living room of Melbourne city! Yes I've gone from 30 degree heat to 10 degree cold!!! As awful as it sounds, I LOVE this city and am excited to be here!!


Right now it's half time of State of Origin and while I sat through the first half, eating my delicious scrambled tofu and kale, I thought, why haven't I put this up yet... So hurriedly I am doing this post before getting back to the second half.


This meal is super delicious and really simple to make. It doesn't require a lot of ingredients, but it bursts with delicious flavours. I got this from Susan at FatFree Vegan... She is incredible!! 






Scrambled Tofu and Kale with Sweet Potato Fries


1 red bell pepper, diced
220g mushrooms, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced
400g tofu, firm or extra-firm, crumbled
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp celtic salt
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (about 340g)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
additional salt and pepper to taste


Heat a deep, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, add the red pepper and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.


Add the tofu and sprinkle it with the paprika, cumin, salt, and turmeric. Cook, stirring constantly, until the spices are fragrant and the tofu is hot throughout.


Reduce the heat to medium. Add the kale and stir. If the mixture seems dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. Cover and steam, stirring every minute or so, until the kale softens, about 4 to 7 minutes, depending on how tender you like your kale. Stir in the nutritional yeast, check the seasonings, and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook for another minute or two until heated through.


Preparation time:
 15 minute(s) | Cooking time: 15 minute(s)


Sweet Potato Fries


Preheat your oven to 200C. While it’s heating, peel the potatoes (about 1 small per person) and cut them into long, narrow strips. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the potato strips on it in a single layer. Sprinkle with the seasonings of your choice


Bake for 15 minutes, turn, sprinkle again, and bake for another 15 or until the fries are cooked all the way through. Heat under the broiler for another minute or two to crisp them up but be careful not to burn them (or the parchment!) 


They won’t be as crispy as fried potatoes, but they will be a delicious and fat-free side dish to go with your vegetable-tofu scramble.
♥ LOVE BEC ♥  

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment